[ubuntu-za] Karma vs Windows 7

Ewald Horn ewaldhorn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 09:36:27 GMT 2009

Hi.

This is indeed dangerous marketing - let's steer clear of trying to
convince people Linux is fail-safe. Remember that users will still
download things they should not, install add-ons and toolbars in
FireFox that makes it crash etc. To most users, virus and/or spyware
is a myth, their machine either works or it does not. If you claim
Linux to be spyware/virus free or proof, you leave yourself open for
(valid) attacks by other OS vendors. Linux itself might be less
susceptible and more secure, but that does not extend to all
applications.

Rather focus on the real benefits, the growing user and support base
(a very large and real concern for my clients) as well as the
tremendous cost implications of not going the Linux route. I have
clients that have been using FreeBSD-based firewalls for more than two
years who refused to believe a free OS is worth a minute of their
time, right until I pointed out that I do maintenance on the Win2k
servers once a month, and never touch the trusty firewall machine that
stands in the corner. Now THAT made them listen when I suggested
PostgreSQL on a Linux box for their next SQL-dependant project.

Best regards
Ewald