[ubuntu-za] Karmic vs Windows 7

Gavin netmatters at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 03:30:12 GMT 2009

2009/10/25 David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) <ethnopunk at telkomsa.net>:

> Love, Live, Ubuntu

A few years ago IBM ran a campaign where they placed ads and graffiti
of the same ads all over certain US cities.

Peace, Love, Linux

http://adsoftheworld.com/media/ambient/ibm_peace_love_and_linux

Keeping it short and simple as above is definitely recommended however;

Ubuntu is not just a free operating system or a word that originates
from South African culture, Ubuntu is a philosophy of ethics for human
interactions, it is a mindset of humanity towards others, it can
probably be described in many ways, but to many people that truly know
what the word Ubuntu mean know main because it is how they have been
brought up and is an integral part of their culture.

If we are going to try and promote an operating system to a nation
that's values are founded on Ubuntu then we need to also keep this in
mind in whatever we come up with.

I'm all in for a campaign to promote Karmic, and seeing as though it
coincides with the Windows 7 launch this is a perfect time to do it.

Firstly most people will stick with what they know and will be weary
of change, but then again they may also be curious.

We can't have two separate campaigns targeting both home users as well
as business, instead we will need to come up with something that would
be appealing to both.

Viral marketing whether via email, website, facebook, twitter and so
on is the most powerful and cost effective way to reach large groups
of people, however not everyone is on the net, and if they are then
not that often.

South Africans still LARGELY get brainwashed by TV, Radio, Newspapers
and billboards.

Advertising via the traditional mediums can be rather costly so the
depth of the penetration is very dependant on budget contraints.

Handing out cd's and promoting face2face with the public works very
well but to get even a reasonable exposure requires lots of people to
be involved in the hand-outs.

Competitions are also a good way to get people involved but that also
depends on the prizes.

Important factors determing what can be done:-

Does the Ubuntu ZA community have a budget for this sort of advertising ??

Does Canonical assist in any way, if so with what ??

Who on this list is willing and able to donate time/effort/resources
to the cause ??

What can be done can only be deciding once the answers to the above
questions are known.

I'm keen to help and there are many ways that I can, firstly I can
offer my time and effort and resources of which I would rather
disclose off-list. ;)

Aren't we running a bit late with this ?? I mean MS has been promoting
Windows 7 for a while now and if I'm not mistaken Windows 7 has either
just been launched or will be in the next week or so.

Cheers,
Gavin