[ubuntu-za] Karma vs Windows 7

Dr. Johan P. Prinsloo biocura at telkomsa.net
Sun Oct 25 21:43:35 GMT 2009

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:
> Windows 7 to tell the truth doesn't look like much of an advance when
> compared to the latest Ubuntu desktop. Problem, is a lot of people will
> be confronted with the inevitable - Should we upgrade? - issue. So my
> question to the Ubuntu community is how can we generate some guerrilla
> advertising to promote Ubuntu as a contender in the upgrade battle?
> Is it too late to make an appeal for home-made "I love Ubuntu" videos? I
> know linux foundation had a competition earlier this year, and it would
> be nice to see some advert slots out there, instead of overly complex,
> preaching to the converted press releases touting the geekier element.
> Love, Live, Ubuntu
> Perhaps a local ZA-Ubuntu competition?
> First prize, dinner with Jonathan Carter, hahaha, sorry Jonothan.
> Suggestions?
>
> =DRL

I have read all the comments from everyone and I agree with so much of
what was said by all of them and if I may add my own. It took me a long
time to load Ubuntu 5.10, all because of a fear of the unknown and not
knowing what to expect and the fact that Linux is "console driven".
Ubuntu has come a long way since then and since Ubuntu 6.10 I have not
used Windows on any of my machines at home or at the office. Yes I am
not a large company,. but with three PCs at home and another five or so
at the office it does say something about the usability of Ubuntu.
I am a very strong believer in Ubuntu, as much as I am a strong opposer
of Micro$oft.

What are the issues preventing people from taking the plunge to
installing Ubuntu?
1) Its Linux, with all the disinformation and wrong perceptions about it;
2) Games is for kids, but adults do it too and they want to be able to
play their games;
3) Some things cannot be fixed, such as printers, I have tried
everything available in forums and cannot get my Canon printers to run
on Ubuntu. My solution was to replace the printers with HP, rather than
return to Micro$oft Winblows, but not everyone is that stuck on Ubuntu;
4) The perception among business people that Linux cannot run their
software, such as Pastel and others;
5) The perception that Ubuntu (or Linux rather) is not plug-and-play, is
not mouse driven and it is only for expert users;
6) The sellers of PCs and software today, to a large extend, are
children who want a PC for specific games and parents buy them what they
want, while the parents become secondary users for access to Facebook,
Youtube, gambling and e-mails.

Most of us in here are Ubuntu supporters and we are passionate about
Ubuntu and some are passionate about boycotting Micro$oft Winblows,
while the public generally just wants a PC that can run their software,
their hardware, play their games and do whatever they do on PCs.
Businesses want stability and a platform that runs their software and
databases.

I agree therefore that two marketing strategies would need to be
developed, one for the general public and another for businesses. For
the general public one needs to focus on user-friendliness ( ease of
use), the plug-and-play capabilities, the "free" software, "free"
upgrades, the fact that updates are downloaded from a local server,
which for Telkomsa clients mean a lot, because it does not affect their
1 or 3gig cap, Firefox and Thunderbird offer great marketing value to
Ubuntu (if we can legally use it in our marketing campaign). Another
area that is lacking is not only the selling of the advantages and the
capabilities of the product, but actual public awareness of the
existence and availability of Ubuntu as a viable, affordable,
cost-effective, virus-free alternative to Micro$oft Winblows. The public
is not aware that they can type their letters and do their spreadsheets
on software that is compatible with the equivalent Micro$oft Winblows
office software. I have the following at the bottom of every one of my
webpages (www.biocura.co.za)

GET WISE GET
(Ubuntu Logo)
LINUX FOR HUMAN BEINGS

 and the following as part of my signature at the bottom of every e-mail
I send out (with the appropriate links)

This e-mail was generated with Mozilla Thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux 9.04
Wise people use Linux
Wise Linux users run Ubuntu.

Its a simple thing, but it creates awareness and its for free.

For business owners we need to focus on the stability, the protection
against viruses, also the plug-and-play aspect, the software
capabilities, the free software and the compatibility of the software
with the old Micro$oft Winblows office software, the viability of
VirtualBox where needed (if ever), etc. etc.

I do believe that Ubuntu has come a long way, but IT geeks often forget
that the general public know very little about a PC or software and just
want to be able to plug and play, to use it for their own stuff, without
having to belong to forums (people are scared of forums), not having a
friend that knows his way around Ubuntu / Linux that they can call of
they need help, etc.

Businesses often place much value upon support and time is money remember.

The average PC store employee has never touched or often has not heard
of Ubuntu and they are the ones we need to target to sell the Ubuntu
concept to the public. They are the ones that need to be approached, to
be invited to launches, because they are the ones scared of Ubuntu and
rather putting people off from installing it, because they themselves do
not know the product and even they are scared of it. The average MCSE
graduate is so hooked on Micro$oft Winblows, they are scared of Linux
and they spread the misleading rumours, because they don't know what
they're talking about and even they are scared to try it. The PC shop
employees are an important target market, because they will sell Ubuntu
if they know, understand, enjoy and trust it.

Johan