[ubuntu-za] Karma vs Windows 7

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Sun Oct 25 18:18:02 GMT 2009

Raoul Snyman wrote:
> On Sunday 25 October 2009 15:56:42 David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:
>
>> To tell you the truth, I don't think cost is the issue in Windows
>> upgrades. Sure its a factor, but telling Windows converts that Ubuntu is
>> FOSS is like telling them, its Linux. There is a major perception
>> problem, based on real issues to do with Linux being "too complicated"
>> or "too geeky". Windows is selling itself as
>>

> No. It's amongst your IT friends that the above perception exists. Most
> "ordinary" people have never heard of Linux/Ubuntu.
>
> And it's not "Karma" it's "Karmic"

Ubuntu has good karma, the issue is whether or not it can break out of
the IT sector and be adopted or embraced by the mainstream? We have to
do a lot more marketing if we want to achieve anywhere near the kind of
ubiquity that Windows and Apple have. I'm just curious as to how to go
about doing this with an essentially community-based Linux distro? The
benefits for SA would be enormous to say the least, and our country
could do with a shove in the right direction, so the question again -
how to promote Ubuntu as a better upgrade solution than Windows 7?

--
888          8 8
 8  8d8b. .d88 8 .d8b. Yb  dP 8   8