[ubuntu-za] Karma vs Windows 7

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Sun Oct 25 13:56:42 GMT 2009

Hi Quintin,

To tell you the truth, I don't think cost is the issue in Windows
upgrades. Sure its a factor, but telling Windows converts that Ubuntu is
FOSS is like telling them, its Linux. There is a major perception
problem, based on real issues to do with Linux being "too complicated"
or "too geeky". Windows is selling itself as

1. Uncomplicated

2. Desktop which simply works, as in "Gee look at the window click".

We therefore need to rebut the above lowest common denominator arguments

Being virus free, and easier interface with Internet etc makes Ubuntu
LESS complicated than Windows 7

We also know that the current Gnome desktop is infinitely superior. We
should therefore be touting Ubuntu as the Gnome desktop of choice.

Unfortunately, we are all getting into the habit of overcomplicating the
nuts and bolts of Ubuntu, first-time users want some kind of protection
from all of that. Windows would never be able to impress if it started
out telling everybody what was under the hood. Let's rather push the
brand-new Karma design, it rocks.

In fact, its not cloud computing which is going to impress, but the damn
screensavers and wallpaper.

An insert with ordinary people using Ubuntu in extraordinary ways would
seriously rock, but we need some way to get the insert's done for gratis.

Which is why I am proposing some form of "I love Ubuntu" video competition.

Regards

David.