[ubuntu-za] Virtual Machine Server

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Wed Oct 21 16:05:02 BST 2009

Charl Wentzel wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Would like to get some advice from the virtual machine gurus.
>
> I have a customer that has been advised to buy a new server for
> Goldmine.  To curb future spending, we decided that going the virtual
> route might be a good idea.  This would allow him to upgrade hardware
> without doing reinstalls in the future and consolidate a few smaller
> servers into one machine.
>
> He was given the following spec for the machine:
>   Mecer Omega Server
>   Intel Xeon 3000 Dual Core CPU
>   2GB PC 800 DDR2 Module X2
>   Adaptec Raid 5405 SATA/SAT 256mb
>   147GB Fujitsu SCSI (SAT) HDD X4

Your memory is light.  Each VM will need it's own dedicated memory that
comes from the system.  I would go with a 64bit server install and have
16gig of ram in there.  That way you can assign 4 gig to WinServer, and
several gig to other systems.  And I would use KVM.

Also, make sure you can add a processor later, and get a dual socket
motherboard.

			Lee