[ubuntu-za] Virtual Machine Server

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Wed Oct 21 15:34:38 BST 2009

Hi Guys

Would like to get some advice from the virtual machine gurus.

I have a customer that has been advised to buy a new server for
Goldmine.  To curb future spending, we decided that going the virtual
route might be a good idea.  This would allow him to upgrade hardware
without doing reinstalls in the future and consolidate a few smaller
servers into one machine.

He was given the following spec for the machine:
  Mecer Omega Server
  Intel Xeon 3000 Dual Core CPU
  2GB PC 800 DDR2 Module X2
  Adaptec Raid 5405 SATA/SAT 256mb
  147GB Fujitsu SCSI (SAT) HDD X4

And of course for Goldmine to run on:
  Win 2008 Server 5Cal
  Win 2008 Server STD 32bit server + 5 Cal

My questions are:

1. Would this machine be a good choice to run Ubuntu Server Edition with
a Virtual Machine Server?  What are the better choice?

2. Would Win 2008 Server (as specified above) run fine as a virtual
machine on Ubuntu Server?

Regards
Charl