[ubuntu-za] Trying to understand OSS, GPL, BSD & other licensing model for software distribution.

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 13:17:53 BST 2009

Hi,

2009/10/7 Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>:
> We are busy developing some software (some is web based, others not)
> and I am having a bit of hard time understanding (or rather, choosing)
> a license model to work with, We will offer some free software (PHP
> based scripts, and even Windows based applications) and for this I'm
> sure the GPL, or even LGPL (for the network side?) will work fine.

I listen to the The Software Freedom Law Show
(http://www.softwarefreedom.org/podcast/)
Which is quite informative.
I think you'd find Episode 0x14: Considerations on GPL Business Models
(http://www.softwarefreedom.org/podcast/2009/aug/18/0x14/)
related to your quest.

One thing I don't really understand is exactly when 2 programs are
considered linked
so that that the GPL restricts your freedoms of writng addons or
embedding it in someway (scripting, including a jar, etc).

This podcast is linked to the The Software Freedom Law Center
(http://www.softwarefreedom.org/)
Which may also be able to help you, even if its just some info on their site.

good luck and please keep us posted on your findings.

--
<| regards