[ubuntu-za] Server Hosting

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Wed Oct 14 21:20:39 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 12:44 +0200, Ludolph wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Louis van der Merwe
> <themandibleclaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I use http://www.linode.com/ for my internet servers.
> > agreed ... linode.com is really awesome
> +1
> --
> Ludolph Neethling

Thanks for all the replies guys.  I'm now also adding my vote: Linode +1

It's a great service and really easy to use.  The obvious trade-off is
having "slow" access to your server, but what you gain is far greater.

My only issue now is that their Ubuntu server images are "very bare".
This makes is small and light-weight but with with some security
implications.  The normal sudoers admin group is not installed and they
are forcing you to use the root user instead.  This is quite a deviation
from teh normal Ubuntu way.  Do they require this for some reason?

I found some documentation that explains how to implement it manually,
but I'm hoping that there is a package that would install the basic
security measures.  I thought "ubuntu-standard" would do it, but that's
not it.

So for the guys that use Linode:

1. which packages do you install on top of their basic server image?

2. do you implement the sudoers admin group and give the root user a
random password or is it not advised in this case?

At least I discovered that you can install some of the normal Ubuntu
Server edition stuff with tasksel, e.g. "tasksel install lamp-server",
and that helps a lot!

Regards
Charl