[ubuntu-za] Microsoft free software ad campaign

Johan Mynhardt johanmynhardt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 04:45:28 BST 2009

The stage where i fight my heart out to make people see that microsoft
is a bad evil company is long gone. I want to be as blunt as to say
that no matter how many campaigns, fud (sorry for cap-errors, gmail
mobile app only lets you have a captal at the start of a line) and
noise they publish, they already lost the "challenge". Whenever you
are insecure and someone intrudes into your comfortzone, you
instinctively "morph" into attack-defence mode. Same goes for them.
Ever seen a wounded beast? It will fight back as long as it can, until
it dies unless it has better support. Oh, did i mention that support
is expensive?
In the other corner you have the gnu beast. Also wounded every now and
then by the other ms-beast. The difference? Gnu-beast is a fresh young
fighter with lots of support and team managers that do their work for
the love of it, to help, to improve. In that context, "for the love of
it" means free.
Don't you enjoy stuff you love more than stuff that you get paid to
do, but don't like? Same principle here.
I'm done explaining to people when they ask "but why would someone do
something for free?". I tried explaining this more than once, but to
most of them, this does not make sense. I've changed my attitude to
"ok, here's the thing. Now it's your turn to believe and grab the
opportunity.".