[ubuntu-za] Karmic Release Parties

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Thu Oct 8 21:09:56 BST 2009

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> Hey!
>
> As many of you are aware, Ubuntu 9.10 is planned for release on 29 October.
>
> We've had some discussion on the release parties on tonight's IRC
> meeting, we'd like to have as many people involved in this as possible,
> so we're taking the discussion mostly to the list since many people
> can't do IRC due to connectivity or work constraints. We will however
> have a follow-up meeting on IRC next week. If you're planning to attend,
> a poll has been set up to establish the best meeting times for all on
> doodle.com: http://doodle.com/ytsq7mipmt5m3kh7
>
> Please vote for the times that will be most suitable for you.
>
> We're proposing 7 November as the date for our release parties. I
> checked for any holidays or anything weird and it doesn't seem like a
> date that will clash with the majority of people.
>
> With the Jaunty release in Centurion we had an external hard disk with
> the jaunty repositories on it that we shared, it worked quite well and I
> think we should try to do it at all the release parties.
>
> Also, if there are any creative ideas out there for release parties (not
> as in the ideas on the Windows 7 release party videos please) please
> post them. We could do the usual get-together-for-beer-pizza-burgers
> thing but it would be nice if we can do something a bit different and
> unique. So if you have any thoughts, please through it out there :)
>
> -Jonathan

Hi there,

Just a thought - let's try to tie something in with the theme of Karma?
I feel really good about this release being the one that sets a new
standard for Linux. Maybe a venue like the Planetarium or somewhere
strange and karmic? We could also do more than bake a cake, some
champagne and pretzels would be good.
Also, there's the Eucalyptus and Koala thing to think about. Maybe it's
the Zoo for us? Or Chinese Restaurant or what? A bamboo grove somewhere?
Let's put our thinking caps on and come up with a good incentive for
people to come out and party.

-DRL