[ubuntu-za] Microsoft free software ad campaign

Tim Johnson tim at pteq.net
Thu Oct 8 18:56:40 BST 2009

I just do all presentations, write and send all documents in Open Office,
process all images in the GIMP or digiKam and do document layout in
scribus.  I play all movies in vlc and music in Songbird.  Those alone
answer many questions regarding FOSS and I just mention that they are all
free whenever asked about them.
And of course, I mention that my rock-stable, virus-free, fast but old
laptop is running on a totally free OS.

The fact that Microsoft has even created this campaign is a small
indication that FOSS is no longer a minor irritation to them.  The loss of
numerous government contracts (worldwide) to Open Office is becoming a
serious concern.

However, I believe in free choice, so those who prefer Microsoft products
are welcome to use them, pay for them (most don't) and upgrade them at
will.

I think that in the long run, Google, software piracy and bloat will do
far more damage to Microsoft than the Linux/FOSS sector ever will.

--
Using Ubuntu 9.04 and Opera 10