[ubuntu-za] Microsoft free software ad campaign

Andre Rossouw andre at arnet.co.za
Thu Oct 8 17:31:34 BST 2009

Hi list.

This is the first time I'm mailing the list so apologies if the format is wrong, I'm sending this from my mobile phone.

Right, I don't want to alienate people or start a discussion on Ubuntu vs Windows. But I'm sitting in a Microsoft partner meeting (please don't hate me). The presenter is currently talking on piracy, and they are presenting a new marketing campaign aimed at us consumers. One of the ads is a web banner advertising free software, click on the link and it brings up fake errors and warnings... And the message that free software is dangerous. "There is no such thing as free software". Ouch.

My problem is that it implies that things like FOSS is bad.

Has anybody else been subjected to this presentation yet? If not, I thought I would just warn the community so we can answer questions that may come up about this. Does anyone have resources that we can use to present FOSS and Ubuntu in a positive light that is easy for the end user (average consumer) to latch on to?

--
Andre Rossouw
...Sent from my mobile