[ubuntu-za] 3G modem

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Tue Oct 6 21:14:16 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 15:36 +0200, Charl Wentzel wrote:
> Of course an alternative would be to have the machines connect
> automatcally to a central server.  But then the central server needs to
> redirect the user from its web-server to the web-server on the remote
> machine via the VPN tunnel... I don't even know if that's possible or
> whether it would require a Phd to set it up?!

I just realised that with reverse ssh tunnels setup from the remote
servers to different ports the central server, the next step required to
achieve what I mentioned above is reverse proxy.  I simply map the
different ports to "sub-directories" (sorry, can't remember the correct
term) on the central servers domain, e.g.

mydomain.com/server1 ->(proxy)-> localhost:8001 ->(ssh)-> server1:80
mydomain.com/server2 ->(proxy)-> localhost:8002 ->(ssh)-> server2:80

Since Apache is already running on the central server, adding a few
lines to /etc/apache2/available-sites should do the trick.

Is this a decent solution?

Regards
Charl