[ubuntu-za] 3G modem

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Tue Oct 6 13:09:36 BST 2009

Hi Guys

I'm trying to setup a very small Ubuntu server on a site, which we would
like to monitor remotely via 3G.  One of the things I would like to do
is to access the webserver on this server.

I've been experimenting with a Vodafone USB 3G modem without much
success.  You have to download and compile the drivers and hope for the
best.  To be honest I don't really trust a USB 3G modem in general for a
remote hosted application as it must start up automatically and manage
the connection automatically.

The second option is to use a 3G router.  But it seems most 3G router
are actually WiFi router that allow you to plug-in (a very specific
model) PCMCIA 3G card.  In principle PCMCIA card are being phased out,
and those who sell the router often don't sell the data card.  And why
buy something that requires a technology that's being phased out in the
first place!!

Are any of you aware of a reliable solution for Ubuntu (server edition)?
Preferable:
a) a 3G router
b) that has 3G built-in rather than "plug-in"?

Regards
Charl