[ubuntu-za] apt-cacher

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Mon Oct 5 08:50:44 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 13:15 +0200, Charl Wentzel wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 11:56 +0200, David Rubin wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Stefan Lesicnik <stefan at lsd.co.za>
> > wrote:
> >         Firstly, i would say use apt-cacher-ng (seems to be later and
> >         worked
> >         alot better for me)
> >
> > Like  Stefan suggested use apt-cacher-ng.
> >
> > Also I would rather use a config setting to tell apt to use your
> > caching server instead of updating all your urls manually (If you are
> > on a laptop this can be a mission to disable/re-enable)
> >

> Thanks guys!  I got it working.

How Lovely!  This morning when I ran update manager on my Netbook it
downloaded updates at 1.7MB/s in comparison to the usual 36kB/s.  After
the initial disbelief I realised this was due to apt-cacher.

This means of the three PC I maintain in my office, downloads now only
occur once and update happen a lot faster.  On top of that I'm saving
heavily bandwidth on the roughly 3-5 new PC's I configure per month.

Thanks again guys!  It seems sometimes an apparent frustration (like a
damaged ADSL line) can lead to something good!  Good to be a bit more
optimistic, hey Quintin :-)

Regards
Charl