[ubuntu-za] Specs for an Ubuntu PC

Paul McMaster paul at vanilla.co.za
Thu Oct 1 16:13:46 BST 2009

Ubuntu can run on many different specs, so it would be hard to say
without more info on what it is to be used for.

You can build a cheap powerfull PC like this:
Intel G41 motherboard
Intel E5200 CPU
2GB DDR2 800 memory
500GB Samsung SATA2 drive
Samsung SATA DVD-Rw

Wont set you back more than R3000

A graphics card is only really needed for games and 3D work.

I would suggest a 21.5" LG Full HD LCD, they go for around R1800 or a
Samsung 2333sw

Paul McMaster

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Dr. Johan P. Prinsloo
<biocura at telkomsa.net> wrote:
> If you were to build yourself a PC to run on Ubuntu, what would be the
> most ideal specs? :
> Which mother board, which CPU, which hard drive, which graphics card,
> which monitor, which dvd writer, which and how much memory, etc?
> I'd love to hear your response.
> Johan

Paul McMaster
Vanilla Networks
Phone: +21 409 7997
office: 125 Buitengracht Street, Cape Town