[ubuntu-za] Video chat alternatives to Skype? Ekiga etc

Chris Schoonbee cmschoonbee at mweb.co.za
Wed Nov 25 09:16:05 GMT 2009

Hi there,

I have installed Skype 2.1.0.47 on Ubuntu 9.10 and have gotten it
working with a v4l preload command that I found on the ubuntuforum.

However I am looking for an alternative to Skype for video chats and
wondered if any of you have found anything or perhaps know of something
in the pipeline.

I have looked at Ekiga but my initial attempts at getting it to work
have been unsuccessful.
Has anyone actually managed to have a PC-to-PC chat, or even better a
video chat, using Ekiga or maybe something else?

Also does anyone know of an application that will allow peer-to-peer
chats or video chats?  Peer-to-peer will no doubt need technical
knowledge by both parties (port-forwarding etc) to set up but I would be
very interested in trying it out.

It looks like one of the goals of the Gnome Telepathy/Empathy projects
is to support video chats but if I understand correctly, this is not yet
available?

Cheers,
Chris