[ubuntu-za] Transition crisis for users of Microsoft Word

Greg Eames geames at lantic.net
Mon Nov 23 07:33:41 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Ivan <ivanh at raim.co.za>
To: Ubuntu South African Local Community <ubuntu-za at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-za] Transition crisis for users of Microsoft Word
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:06:48 +0200

Lee Sharp wrote:
> Robin Bownes wrote:
>

> > I must admit that I've recently had a rather nasty problem of setting
> > up a presentation in OpenOffice and exporting it to PowerPoint, since
> > the location for the presentation didn't allow me to use my own notebook.
> > Spacing, animations, timings, and even some of the inserted graphics
> > disappeared - fairly disastrous to the point that the presentation had to
> > be postponed and I now have to remake the presentation in PowerPoint so as
> > to ensure that I don't have the same problems again.
> >

> My first thought is, if they are going to force you to use a different
> computer, why can't they install the free package that displays your
> presentation correctly?
>
> That said, I HATE powerpoint, and only use the most basic functions
> anyway.  All the flash in the world does not make up for a lack of
> content.  Too bad marketing people don't get this...
>
> 			Lee

Hi, everyone,

I have had similar problems, until I started using OpenOffice portable.
4Gb Flash Stick, holds everything I need to run my preferred environment
anywhere.

Ivan

dangerous content by Pinpoint Securemail,
and is believed to be clean.

Howdy

A solution for those with office problems, bit first the background.

My partners hard drive went bang, and we could not get a new one quickly
so I installed Ubuntu 9.04 onto a 4GB flash drive, which we then booted
his laptop from. We ran the laptop in this way for about six months
before we could replace the hard drive. We had no other storage other
than the flash,so all his mail and documents etc where kept on the flash
drive. We never had any problems except when it came to running advanced
Compiz options and high graphic games. Movie and music played from
external media ran fine.

The only problem I can see with this approach is possible not having the
necessary drivers for the hardware at the presentation location but a
quick call ahead would solve that.

Greg

P.S. My laptop has a port for an external monitor/projector how do I get
that to work in Ubuntu 9.04?