[ubuntu-za] Transition crisis for users of Microsoft Word

Robin Bownes robin at ncedatrust.org.za
Fri Nov 20 08:10:52 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal-pc.org>
To: Ubuntu South African Local Community <ubuntu-za at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-za] Transition crisis for users of Microsoft Word
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:28:42 -0600

Robin Bownes wrote:

> However, the fact remains that MS has huge market share all over the world,
> and if Linux-based software is to compete in the real world, it must enable
> its users to open, save, import and export accurately to and from MS formats.
> OpenOffice users cannot afford to be on the back-foot in terms of any form of
> multi-user document functionality if OpenOffice, and others, are to be valid
> options for the wider, interoperable workplace. As much as it may offend our
> sensibilities, MS is the standard with which we have to live and with which
> we have to ensure complete compatibility for the present.

I disagree...  First, there are the same compatibility problems between
office versions.  This is why some of those presentation systems will
have Office 2003 and Office 2007.  I feel that we should feel no shape
in asking for them to support Open Office.  You brought your laptop, and
THEY said, no you must use ours.  I have no problem saying, "OK.
Install my tool."  It is not like it cost them anything...

Instead of trying for a perfect compatibility (that can never exist), I
think we need to start saying, "No!  You support me!"  And if they
don't, find another vendor. (Or bitch more when you can't.)  The squeaky
wheel gets the grease.  Squeak more!

But that is just me.  Sanity is probably somewhere in the middle. :)

			Lee
Unfortunately, we can disagree as much as we want. The fact however remains
that even in most purely business environments, the installation of any "new"
or different software is a major issue that could take a long time to get
approval. However, when, like myself, you are working in a non-profit / fund
raising environment, where I am often going "cap in hand" to a potential funder,
asking/telling them to install software so that I can make my presentation (to
ask them for money) will not fly. Unfortunately, in this situation, the squeaky
wheel gets nothing!

I agree that perfect compatibility is not possible. However, basic compatibility
for things such as content alignment and spacing should be a given if compatibility
is claimed. The animations and "bells & whistles", while nice, can lived without -
but one needs to know that text will still fit on the screen and bullet points will
line up with one another on a single slide. Otherwise, don't claim compatibility.

Robin