[ubuntu-za] Info slips & Striata on Ubuntu Mini-How.

Michael Gorven michael at gorven.za.net
Fri Nov 20 06:18:45 GMT 2009

On Friday 20 November 2009 07:08:31 Trevor Hughes wrote:
> What does it actually do as one does not need a password to open the
> file so what protection does this really offer.

Some documents do need a password to open, such as my current account
statements sent by Internet Banking. The ABSA statements seem to require your
ID number (which is hardly a "password"). My SB credit card statements
actually say "this technology ensures that you are the only person that is
able to open your statement" which is a lie. The Striata system is complete
crap though -- I wish they'd just used S/MIME or PGP and written a GUI for the
poor Windows people.

Apparently the regulations governing electronic statements/invoices (from SARS
I believe) require that they either be encrypted or signed. Considering that
these are completely different things I'm guessing that SARS doesn't understand
cryptography.

Michael

--
http://michael.gorven.za.net