[ubuntu-za] Transition crisis for users of Microsoft Word

Robin Bownes robin at ncedatrust.org.za
Thu Nov 19 07:39:22 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Brenton Edgar Scott <trixarian at gmail.com>
To: Ubuntu South African Local Community <ubuntu-za at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-za] Transition crisis for users of Microsoft Word
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:18:59 +0200

Raoul Snyman wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:52:07 +0200, Trevor Hughes wrote:
>
>> Raoull is that not the pot calling the kettle black? Asking someone
>> not to top post by top posting - oh the irony!;) Even if you DID mean
>> to on purpose as an illustration!
>>

> To be precise, I was inline posting. That means that I snipped the original
> message to contain only the portion I wanted to reply to, I replied to that
> portion underneath it, like I should, but then I also added a comment at
> the top of the e-mail which was not related to the content of the previous
> e-mail, and therefore did not need to be bottom posted.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Inline_replying

Why should it matter? Yes it's a standard netiquette way of doing it,
but does it really bother or impede anybody? I think not.

A nudge in the right direction is OK, but don't start hijack threads to
prove it.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I will add in my personal observation
that the tables conversion for .doc in OOO isn't exact. I had to convert
my CV (which is heavily table ridden) to a PDF file, because OOO just
couldn't save it properly to a .doc format without breaking the tables
or spacing.

That is however the only complaint I have about OOO and using my CV as a
PDF is working out better too.

I must admit that I've recently had a rather nasty problem of setting
up a presentation in OpenOffice and exporting it to PowerPoint, since
the location for the presentation didn't allow me to use my own notebook.
Spacing, animations, timings, and even some of the inserted graphics
disappeared - fairly disastrous to the point that the presentation had to
be postponed and I now have to remake the presentation in PowerPoint so as
to ensure that I don't have the same problems again.