[ubuntu-za] Transition crisis for users of Microsoft Word

SecretCode secretcode343 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 12:11:34 GMT 2009

Charl Wentzel wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 21:48 +0200, Raoul Snyman wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 17 November 2009 16:22:29 William Walter Kinghorn wrote:
>>
>>> you might want to look at go-oo,  http://www.go-oo.org/
>>>
>> That's the version of OpenOffice.org that Ubuntu uses, IIRC.
>>
> I've heard this being mentioned before.  However, I could not find any
> indication in the Ubuntu version of OpenOffice indicating that it is Go
> OO; not in About, Help files or even in Synaptic's package description.
> All indications I found was that it is the "standard vanilla" version of
> OpenOffice.
>
> Any reason for not showing that it is Go OO?  Or does Go OO by default
> not indicate this for some reason?  How can one confirm that you
> actually have Go OO?
I see this at http://www.go-oo.org/download/:

Ubuntu provides Go-OO in their repositories. To install it just type as
root

# apt-get install openoffice.org

However ... on my 9.04 installation, the main components of
openoffice.org are installed but not this metapackage. Plus, there are
hundreds of other openoffice.org- packages in the repositories
(including the international languages) which aren't in 'openoffice.org'
but I think are provided by go-oo.

What I don't see is a metapackage called 'go-oo', or any way of finding
out what patches/addons provided by go-oo are installed or not.

Confusion reigns?

Joe