[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu in Kiosk Mode

Craig A. Adams craigaa at karg.co.za
Thu Nov 12 09:47:06 GMT 2009

Hi All,

I am setting up a wireless hotspot with an Ubuntu 9.04/9.10
workstation for public use.

What I want to do is have the workstation auto login with some type of
guest account. When the user is finished their session and they
logout, I would like the workstation to reset and clear all browsing
history, bookmarks, documents and settings and then automatically
login as the guest user again.

The guest session will need to be setup to have pre-defined printers,
bookmarks and home pages. Obviously, the users should not be able to
change system settings and/or configs.

Does anyone have any experience with this that they can share?

Are there any best practices and tools to help make this happen?

Kindest Regards

Craig A. Adams