[ubuntu-za] Wireless USB Adapter

moki at mweb.co.za moki at mweb.co.za
Sun Nov 8 14:45:01 GMT 2009

I running Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop & Desktop. My laptop (3 year old Fujitsu Siemens with built in wireless) works fine with my ADSL wireless router.

I am using a Ralink USB wirelss adapter on my desktop PC (Core 2 Quad<processor). I created a new network connection called "Home". When I move my mouse pointer to the the icon in the top right hand corner, the dialog box says "Wireless network connection 'Home' active", however i cannot connect to the internet. If I double click on the connection properties it shows the driver as RT2800. There is no communication with the ADSL router. When I re-boot It looks like the wireless connection does not function at all, the dialog box says " no active wireless network connections" (or something like that!). Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem is. I am currently using an ethernet cable connection to the router.