[ubuntu-za] irc

Johan Mynhardt johanmynhardt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 14:57:13 GMT 2009

2009/11/7 Raoul Snyman <raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za>:
> Hi Miles,
>
> On Saturday 07 November 2009 15:50:47 miles sharpe wrote:
>> Can you please tell me what to download from synaptic to get the correct
>> irc software used by the sa ubuntoers.
>
> Like the others have suggested, XChat is probably best for you, and if it's
> not already installed, you should be able to find it easily in Synaptic.
>
> Once you have XChat installed, you need to set up your connection. We're using
> the Freenode network, which you should find in the list of networks, and then
> you'll want to join the #ubuntu-za channel (the # is part of the channel name,
> don't forget to include it!)
>
> You'll need to choose a "nick", a nickname for yourself in IRC. In the event
> that the nick you've chosen is already taken, you'll need to choose another
> one. XChat will tell you if your nick is already taken.
>
> I don't use XChat myself, so I'm not 100% sure of all the settings and the
> program layout, but if you just look around at all the different options, and
> look for the same terms that I have mentioned, you should come right.
>
> See you in IRC!
>
> --
> Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
> Saturn Laboratories
> m: 082 550 3754
> e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
> w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
> b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za

I'm not 100% sure, but I do think that by default XChat connects to
freenode, although it calls it something different. So basically you
only need to join the channel if I'm correct :)

--

Johan Mynhardt - Free State Linux User Group

+2772 432 8108 |johanmynhardt[at]gmail.com
http://flug.org.za | http://nuvolari.co.za
irc.freenode.net (#ubuntu-za|#flug.org.za)