[ubuntu-za] nvidia graphics

miles sharpe msdomdonner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 08:10:51 GMT 2009

>  done this yet for the TNT2. Here is the link for the legacy drivers from nvidia's site.
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_71.86.11.html
>
> These drivers are for 32-bit Linux. I will attempted to help you install these drivers but I need to highlight some problems
> that you will most likely run into sometime down the line.
>
> 1.) You will have to reinstall the driver after kernel updates.
> 2.) You will have to reinstall the drivers if you do a dist-upgrade.
>
> Ok now that you know what the risks are here is what you can do.
>
> 1.) download the driver and make it exacutable
> 2.) press Ctrl+Alt+F1, then login
> 3.) now we will install needed software with the following "sudo apt-get install build-essential"
> 4.) after the above command completes type the following "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop"
> 5.) navigate to where you downloaded the driver to
> 6.) now type the following "sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.11.pkg1.run
> 7.) follow the on screen instructions, you will to a point where the installer will ask you if it should try and
> build the drivers for you (or something along those lines) answer yes to this.
> 8.) now the drivers should be installed, now type the following "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start"
>
> That should be it and you should be back to a graphical desktop.
>
> If you have any more question or need further help, just ask and I will try and help.
>
> Regards
>
> Deon
>

> Hi Deon. I am using 9.04.
I am very happy with it except for this graphics thing.
I have already used synaptic to get nvidia 96
Must I first go and remove them before I try your commands.
I only have 623 ram according to ubuntu so I am scared to get 9.10 and
sit with more problems. I am disabled so there is no cash for extras.
Must make do with what I was given.
But I would like to say thanks alot to all the list people that have
helped me so far and hope to improve my knowlege of this great os.