[ubuntu-za] nvidia graphics

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Wed Nov 4 08:10:13 GMT 2009

Hi Miles,

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 09:11:24 +0200, miles sharpe wrote:
> Hi Lee. Thanks. I am back to normal again.
> did what you said but when i run that command I cant get past the
> keyboard section to see anymore about nv drivers.
> in hardware drivers it just says there are no proprietary drivers in use
> in this system. How do you make it find the right ones.
> I found the 96 ones in synaptic  and downloaded them but when i go
> system preferences displayit says your graphics driver does not support
> the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your
> graphics driver vendors tool instead. And that is where the big crash
> started yesterday. So I am very wary to say yes again.

Like I said before, you cannot use the nvidia-glx set of drivers for your
card, as it is very old.

I searched for your card in the -96 driver that Lee incorrectly told you to
install:

@:~$ aptitude show nvidia-glx-96 | grep -i 'riva'
@:~$

Nope, your card is not supported by that driver set.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/