[ubuntu-za] OPen Office 3.1.0

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Thu May 28 14:20:37 BST 2009

Vijay Makanjee wrote:
> Bill Cairns wrote, On 28/05/2009 14:45:
>
>> A pretty basic question, but I am stumped.
>>
>> I have installed OO 3.1 on my *.04 machine following the instructions
>> in the tutorial
>>
>> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-openoffice-3.0.0-on-ubuntu-8.04
>>
>> Everything seems to have gone well (even though the tutorial is
>> talking about 3.0). However, the tutorial states that
>>
>> "After you've successfully installed the desktop integration package,
>> you can find OpenOffice 3.0.0 launchers under Applications > Office: "
>>
>> But the launchers are not there. The OO 2.4 launchers are still  there
>> and still point to 2.4.
>>
>> How can I get the launchers to 3.1 there? Or at least create myself
>> an icon on the desktop to call the programs? Part of my problem is
>> that I am not sure what the names of the 3.1 programs are.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bill
>>

> Hi
>
> >From what I recall, there is a .deb file which makes the icons for the
> gnome (and I assume others) desktop.
>
> When you unpack the *.deb.tar.gz file there is a folder called desktop
> integration. In that there is a file called something like debian-menus.
>
> This will install the menus at the correct places.
>
> You might have to remove the existing menu items (I can't recall if they
> are automatically replaced).
>
> Another way is to rightclickon the application menu and edit the items
> directly. On my system the writer icon shows a file which is called
> ...openoffice.org3 -writer %U.
>
> Vijay

I just took a look at the tutorial in question. It says something about
desktop integration:

This works only if you have previously uninstalled Ubuntu's OpenOffice
package (don't do this if you want to run Ubuntu's OpenOffice and
OpenOffice 3.0.0 in parallel)! If you have not, you will see the
following error:

falko at falko-desktop:~/Desktop/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/desktop-integration$
<mailto:falko at falko-desktop:%7E/Desktop/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/desktop-integration$>
sudo dpkg -i openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9354_all.deb
[sudo] password for falko:
Selecting previously deselected package openoffice.org-debian-menus.
dpkg: regarding openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9354_all.deb
containing openoffice.org-debian-menus:
openoffice.org-core conflicts with openoffice.org-unbundled
openoffice.org-debian-menus provides openoffice.org-unbundled and is to
be installed.
dpkg: error processing openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9354_all.deb
(--install):
conflicting packages - not installing openoffice.org-debian-menus
openoffice.org3.0-debian-menus_3.0-9354_all.deb
falko at falko-desktop:~/Desktop/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/desktop-integration$
<mailto:falko at falko-desktop:%7E/Desktop/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358/DEBS/desktop-integration$>

Let us know if you succeed.