[ubuntu-za] Local download site for Karmic Koala Alpha CD?

Russell Cloran russell at rucus.net
Wed May 27 21:03:09 BST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Chris Schoonbee <cmschoonbee at mweb.co.za> wrote:
> Please correct me if I am wrong, someone, (or if there is a better way)
> but what I could in the meantime is to create a fresh Jaunty install,
> upgrade it using the deb cache from my main Jaunty install and then
> upgrade it to Karma by changing the apt sources to the local archive
> site I found?

There is indeed a (slightly) easier way... (though I agree with the
other comments that there isn't much exciting at this stage of
development and you should wait a bit). That way is jigdo (jigsaw
downloader).

First, install the jigdo-file package on your existing Ubuntu install.
Then, point it at a .jigdo file, which you can usually find on
http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/ somewhere (ie, to build the alpha-1 CD for
Karmic, run "jigdo-lite
http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/alpha-1/karmic-alternate-i386.jigdo").

It will download the .jigdo file (~150KB) and then a .template file
(~2MB) from the international site. After that you will be prompted
for a filesystem location to add files from (just press enter with no
input for this step if you have no .deb files already downloaded), and
then for a mirror, at which point you can choose
http://za.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu.

Occasionally you can't get a package or two off the mirror due to
package churn during development. In this case you can always rsync
the remainder of the image (using a command something like "rsync
rsync://cdimages.ubuntu.com/cdimage/releases/karmic/alpha-1/karmic-alternate-i386.iso
.")

Note that you can only create alternate CDs with jigdo.

HTH,

Russell
--
echo http://russell.rucus.net/spam/ |  sed 's,t/.*,t,;P;s,.*//,,;s,\.,@,;'