[ubuntu-za] Is Ubuntu Appcentre end of the road for FOSS?

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Tue May 26 22:46:52 BST 2009

David Robert Lewis wrote:

> Ludolph you are entitled to your opinion. I picked up on the story on
> softpedia and fudzilla and then followed up the original which appears
> to be stefanoforenza. I believe my conclusions are valid and the issues
> I rise are a topic for serious debate. I wanted to share my posting and
> blog with the mailing list, and believe I am within my rights to do so.
> If there were no "tinfoil hat loonies" as you put it, there would be no
> crazy Linux users. This is why they call it Mad Tux. So I am honoured to
> be called such names and feel entitled to express my opinions.

It is, however, another "The Sky is falling" story with little
substance.  For example, it is "Linux for Human Beings" which often
includes commercial software.  I want that freedom too...  Making
commercial software easier to integrate is only a good thing.  Nowhere
in the Ubuntu credo does it say "pure stuff only."  And, no one will
propose hiding the FOSS stuff.  That is the FUD that makes us roll our
eyes every time this kind of thing comes up.

And that is my opinion...

			Lee