[ubuntu-za] Fujitsu Siemens Laptop

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Thu May 21 08:59:26 BST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 19:06, Mohamed Kikia <moki at mweb.co.za> wrote:
> I still haven't managed to resolve the USB issue with my laptop. USB
> devices are not automatically recognised when plugged in. I type in
> "lsusb" in Terminal  a few times before they are picked up and then it
> is slow, very slow. Downloading 365 pictures from my kodak camera - 1
> hour 45minutes. A 650mb file from my USB external drive - I stopped the
> download after an hour - download was not even half done!  Anyone have
> any ideas. I am getting a bit desperate. The devices all worked fine in
> XP, but I am trying not to go back there again. Other than these
> problems Ubuntu 9.04 works fine. My laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo
> L7310GW.  Would appreciate any help.

Hmm, I see someone else posted on the ubuntu forums with the same
problem - no response yet:

Here's another report of this laptop hanging:

Looks like USB didn't work with Ubuntu 7.10 either:
http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=26319 - or
openSUSE: http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sf-archives/archives-install-boot/344412-does-not-recognize-usb-devices.html

Here's a report of someone having the USB problem with Ubuntu 6.06 and
finding a way to fix it but at the expense of the WLAN working:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-282087.html - this
suggests that it's an ACPI issue.

Here's a report that somebody got it all working on Mepis:
http://www.mepis.org/node/12174 - see the irqpoll mention in the
comments. The same should apply to Ubuntu.

Hope that helps
Morgan