[ubuntu-za] upgrade path from 8.10 to 9.04

Trevor Hughes linux at thewildfig.co.za
Tue May 19 10:26:18 BST 2009

I have just moved my main laptopto 9.04 - was still using 7.10 and
that install is horrible broken at the mo and I am canning it in
favour of a shiny new install.

Now I want to upgrade the old laptop from 8.10 to 9.04

I know that usually you do a aptitude dist-upgrade and then pop in the
alternate cd and upgrade - however I have a slight complication - I am
pretty sure I installed either using Ubuntu Desktop or Alternate
(8.10) and then did I either did a aptitide install xubuntu-desktop or
popped in the relevant Xubuntu CD and installed Xubuntu on top of
Ubuntu.

Either way checking in Synaptic both meta packages ubuntu-desktop and
xubuntu-desktop are marked as installed.

I exclusively use the Xubuntu part and even my login screen is the
Xubuntu screen (obvioulsy replaced the Ubuntu screen when I installed
it)

Now how do I go about upgrading using a cd - I have both the alternate
and desktop CDs for Ubuntu and Xubuntu.

It would be nice to have both gnome and xfce updated so I can choose
desktops although I just use Xubuntu.

Do I pop the ubuntu alternate for 9.04 - let it upgrade and then do
the same for the xubuntu alternate cd?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't have too much else installed that was not included in the base
and I undertand those packages will be update from the internet, I
just want to avoid updating the whole thing on the net due to obvious
bandwidth limitations. I suppose another alternative is to go to UCT
and use the wireless Freedom Toaster connection and update the whole
thing that way! - but I'd prefered to do it all at home!

Thanks

Trev