[ubuntu-za] Audio and video Problem Upgrade 9.04

Bruno Marques bruno at tropical.co.mz
Fri May 15 14:59:02 BST 2009

hello all

i recently upgraded my ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04
and got greeted with 2 problems

1.the first one is regarding compiz, with ubuntu 8.10 i could use compiz
and all the flashy effects without no problem, i used desktop cube, etc
etc, even in the ubuntu visual effects, i can only select "None", i
cannot choose "Normal" nor "Extra", wich i could before, it first says,
searching for available drivers, after a while it says desktop effects
could not be enabled.

is there any way to resolve this?

2. the second problem is, the pc was fine in terms of audio, i could
hear everything without no problem, but, today after lunch my brother
asked me if he could use the pc, after i got hold the pc after he got
done with it... to my surprise i couldnt hear anything...

i've tried using diferent kinds of audio and video players, it all runs
nicely as if the sound is coming out... but i dont hear anything,
the pc is not in mute, not even the laptop
s button for mute is turned on.. the volume on both the player and
laptop are at full

is there a way to test if everything if fine with the audio? how can i
toubleshoot this problem?
how can i be sure its a hardware problem or not?

many thanks in advance

Bruno Marques