[ubuntu-za] Video Broadcast Controller

Neil Muller neil at dip.sun.ac.za
Fri May 15 10:50:30 BST 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 10:22:08AM +0200, Russell Cloran wrote:
> Hi,

> I've always thought it stood for "resource configuration". Wikipedia
> disagrees, though.

In this case, though, it's part of an error message from the driver, so
it's probably being used to mean "return code".

Returning to the problem which sparked the side-thread.

Given the error message, it look like the automatic detection of the
tuner type is selecting the wrong tuner. Detecting the tuner correctly
is one of the hard problems (largely due to hardware manufacturers not
providing reliable methods for detecting hardware changes (this also
makes searching for relevant information hard)). The gentoo wiki lists a
couple of scripts for trying to loop through all possible tuner types,
see http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/SAA7134 - while tedious, this is
probably the best bet at this point.

Neil Muller  email: neil at dip.sun.ac.za

Division Applied Mathematics, Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Stellenbosch