[ubuntu-za] Video Broadcast Controller

Robert Holm robhholm at lantic.net
Fri May 15 08:16:48 BST 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 18:31 -0500, Lee Sharp wrote:
> Robert Holm wrote:
> > I'm now inclined to think that "rc" stands for "runlevel compatibility".
> > In /etc/event.d there are scripts for rc0, rc1, rc2 etc etc, each of
> > which executes a different run level in /etc/init.d/rc. The executables
> > in /etc/init.d, and I quote, "Starts/stops services on runlevel
> > changes".
> >
> > Do you think the problem might be that the TVtime software is calling
> > for the incorrect runlevel? If that is the case maybe the only solution
> > would be to get the source code and make the alteration.
>

> No.  First, you have to be root to change runlevel, and you do NOT have
> to be root to run TVTime.  Also, you would notice something as jarring
> as a run level change.  I think the tuner is set wrong...

I think I worded that badly. The definition of "runlevel compatibility"
came straight out of the scripts in /etc/event.d so that, although I
don't understand it, such a state must exist. Perhaps what I should have
said was that running 'channel scan' in TVtime is incompatible with the
run level. Believe me, I have put every possible setting for the tuner
under the microscope. But the investigation continues...........

Robert