[ubuntu-za] Intrepid to Jaunty

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Thu May 14 15:31:37 BST 2009

Morgan Collett wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 14:56, Alf Stockton <alf at stockton.co.za> wrote:
>
>> Now that the community has had a bit of time looking at 9.04, is it worth
>> upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04?
>> Please tell me what the advantages are?
>>

> http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-9.04-desktop pretty much summarises
> the new features - faster boot, better 3G support, openOffice.org 3.0,
> new notification system... and newer versions of most of the packages
> on the system like Python 2.6 for example.
>
> Intel graphics still seem to have problems, as does the ext4 file
> system. See http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904 for
> details of known problems.
>
> Regards
> Morgan

Still think the community could do with some kind of upgrade tracker to
assist with upgrades. Its a huge investment of time and energy to set up
a system, then you upgrade, lose all the third-party software in the
process and have to reinstall, which takes more time and energy. A
simple and efficient upgrade tracking system would figure out what part
of the "rest of the system" needs to change, and what can stay the same,
avoiding this, or am I completely off the mark, and worry needlessly?

-D