[ubuntu-za] Problems when installing updates to Hardy

Phillip Pare ptpare at lantic.net
Thu May 14 13:36:26 BST 2009

Russell Cloran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Phillip Pare <ptpare at lantic.net> wrote:
>> It would seem that the partition that I am using for boot is full.
>> However
>> it does not seem to be a simple matter to remove files from it. This is
>> the output from apt-get upgrade:
>
> apt keeps a bunch of your old debs around in /var/cache/apt/archives/.
> You can safely clean this directory up by using "aptitude clean".
>
> Since the debs will no longer be available, you may have to
> re-download some packages for reinstall. I don't think you'll have to
> re-download the kernel packages which you're currently having a
> problem with, though -- it looks like they installed successfully, but
> just can't configure themselves.
>
> Russell
> --

Hi Russell
Thank you for the advice.

1. Does this mean that var/cache/apt/archives/ is on the same partition as
boot?

2. How do you go about checking on which partition a certain folder is
located? I ask as it would seem that it is the boot folder which is full
and yet when I delete files from it the available size does not incease.

3. I tried to reboot and I got kernel panic errors on a number of the
bootup options. So now I have had to use windows to access my email.
Is is possible to repair a broken system using the install DVD or will I
have to do a fresh install?

Regards

Phillip