[ubuntu-za] Intel graphics and Jaunty

Trevor Hughes linux at thewildfig.co.za
Thu May 14 09:59:04 BST 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Sudhashen Naicker
<sudhashen at ixion.co.za> wrote:

> Yes I got mine going(same graphics chip). Followed this guide and it
> fixed performance issues
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/intel-graphics-performance-guide-for-ubuntu-904-jaunty-users.html

Thanks - this is one of the articles I referred to in my original
post. I think Simon got this one

The real complaint is about the virtual screen size going over
2048x2048 with the monitors side by side. I confirmed this by putting
stacking the monitors vertically ( not physically of course!!!)

I now have 3d acceleration as compiz works fine using both screens. I
can live with this set up as it just involves dragging a windows
downward to get it on the next screen - I am sure I can get used to
that.

Stiill moans about DR2 whatever that is, but I am happy enough with
the performance.

Just the automatic display configure app is not playing ball and is
not offering me the correct resolution for my external monitor so it
is not using its native resolution and as a result looks rather
horrible. I am sure some tweaking with xrandr will fix this so I am
not too concerned. At least now I will be able to make use of the dual
monitors.

In my gutsy install I basically just had them mirrored for
essentiaqlly the same reason. No 3d graphics with dual screen
(although the perrormance was still better than what I was
experiencing in my Jaunty install at first!) I use Google Earth quite
a bit (for geocaching) and I got tired of havin to log out and login
to get back to a single screen situation  - so I just left it in
single screen configuration all the time.

Thanks to all who have helped

I will report back oin my efforts to get the resolution tweaked - when
I get arround to it!!!!

Trev