[ubuntu-za] Subliminal Message Software

Quintin van Rooyen quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com
Wed May 13 15:56:11 BST 2009

2009/5/13 David Robert Lewis <ethnopunk at telkomsa.net>

> LordFoom wrote:
> > My comment wasn't specifically directed at subliminal software
> > (although he didn't explain his methodology, said it would be used on
> > other people not himself, etc, etc).  It is directed only at the
> > thought that just because software is free it can be used to do
> > anything. Fair enough, if someone wants to turn an ubuntu box into a
> > device for setting off bombs throughout the city, then he can, but
> > that doesn't mean he can expect help from the list.
> >

> >> This list - I thought - was about helping with Ubuntu and not making
> >> moral judgments particular when you have no facts.
> >>

> > So if someone asks us to make the prementioned bomb-buntu, without
> > expanding on his/her purpose, we should assist this person because "we
> > don't have all the facts"?
> >
> > This is an extreme example, sure, but I think it illustrates the point.
> >

> > On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Trevor Hughes <linux at thewildfig.co.za>
> wrote:

> >> Now I feel I have to make a comment here.
> >>
> >> Since you do not know the terms under which the research will be
> >> conducted you are just jumping to conclusions. The original poster
> >> seems quite transparent in his intentions and one would think that if
> >> he wanted to be misleading any one he could have worded his request
> >> differently.
> >>
> >> This list - I thought - was about helping with Ubuntu and not making
> >> moral judgments particular when you have no facts.
> >>
> >> So how about helping me then.....
> >>
> >> I want to be able to flash subliminal messages to myself while I use a
> >> computer - I am hoping to motivate myself and quit smoking. I have
> >> found plenty of software to do this under Windows but not too much for
> >> Linux and particularly Ubuntu.
> >>
> >> I have found xsublim and some info how to get it working with Copiz
> >> and GNome. Does any one here have any other suggestions or tips on
> >> xsublim?
> >>
> >> Trev
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> Maybe there's a market out their for Hypnobuntu? I can imagine the CIA
> would love to acquire such a device, as too would some tin-pot
> dicatorships who no doubt would also be interested in the aforementioned
> Bombuntu?
>
> I'm sticking with Mandela's Principle 1 and urge you all to not assist
> this project until there are sufficient checks and balances,
> methodology, protocols in place etc.

Yay - so because this list seems to be populated by a bunch of
jumpingtoconclusionsninnies we have seen why OSS has trouble being rolled
out in research fields.

OP said that they were doing research - why not help him. Either you guys
are really uninformed as to the benefits that this research might have
(years ago I read up a bit on the possible medical benefits of subliminal
messages and/or hypnotherapy as part of a course in psychology - can anyone
say treat personality disorders due to physical brain damage?) and if they
want to use Ubuntu to do it I say more power to them.

Sheesh - ask first THEN shoot. You guys just did the equivalent of RTFM
NOOB.

Cheers.

ps: about time we had a flame-war on here NANO FTW!!!

Quintin van Rooyen
0824772477
quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com
The New SA Geek!