[ubuntu-za] Fujitsu Siemens Laptop - USB Problems

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Wed May 13 09:29:04 BST 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:41, moki at mweb.co.za <moki at mweb.co.za> wrote:
> I have a Fujitsu Siemens Laptop - about 3 years old.
>> With 8.10 I really battled with the USB ports. With Jaunty, I have to type
>> "
>> lsusb" in terminal 2 times before the port is recognised. Only then can I
>> see Disk_Img. I can even see my USB powered Seagate external 250 gig drive
>> which I couldn't see with 8.10. One big problem though. Copying a 600mb
>> file
>> from USB drive to laptop - about 30 to 45 minutes! Any idea as to why?
>> Also
>> any way of getting the USB devices recognised when they are plugged in?

I don't know why the devices don't show up immediately - that is
strange. Regarding the slow transfer speed, it sounds like the drive
is being accessed over USB 1.1 not USB 2.0. I see in your lspci that
there is a USB 2.0 controller, but there might be a reason why it's
not used.

A common reason why a device comes up as USB 1.1 and not USB 2.0 is if
it is plugged into a USB 1.1 hub and then into your machine.

I also vaguely remember machines which had only some of the ports as
USB 2.0 - try using different USB ports?

>> 00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
>> Controller (rev 80)
>> 00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)

>> I also had a problem setting up my display initially ("Monitor Unknown").
>> eventually set the resolution to 1280 x 800 (16:10). This seems to be
>> working well. My laptop has frozen on one or two occasions. Is this just
>> coincidence or is there a bug? Hope someone can shed some light on these
>> issues.

The display resolution thing seems to be a result of X.org not needing
a xorg.conf file by default - except when this kind of thing
happens... That's basically an upstream change which Ubuntu adopted,
partially for Intrepid and probably more completely for Jaunty.
Hopefully it will be improved in Karmic...

Regarding the freezing, it's difficult to tell what the cause might
be. It could be hardware (try run a memory test on boot up) or a video
driver thing or anything else... Did you do something specific when it
hanged?

Regards
Morgan