[ubuntu-za] Assigning an application to a workspace

Jonathan Hitchcock jonathan at vhata.net
Mon May 4 21:56:17 BST 2009

Hi,

On 04 May 2009, at 5:59 PM, Bill Cairns wrote:
> Thanks - it would be fine if it came up every time I log in, but I did
> not realise that .bashrc was called every time I opened a terminal.
> Why would it do that?

See the bash manpage:

"When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a non-
interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and executes
commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After
reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and
~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the
first one that exists and is readable. The --noprofile option may be
used when the shell is started to inhibit this behavior.
When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash
reads and executes commands from /etc/bash.bashrc and ~/.bashrc, if
these files exist. This may be inhibited by using the --norc option.
The --rcfile file option will force bash to read and execute commands
from file instead of /etc/bash.bashrc and ~/.bashrc."

(Seriously, people, read the bash manpage!  It is useful!)

>> As for the application opening up on the correct desktop I assumed
>> compiz
>> had a plugin to save windows states.?

> Thanks David - you have given me a better way of calling up
> Thunderbird. But I still have the problem of how to get it into the
> right work space.

David answered that question too:  if you're using compiz, you can run
the settings manager, and go to the "window management" category -
there's a section there that lets you specify which windows should be
placed on which workspaces.