[ubuntu-za] Upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 Modufied configuration

Vincent Williams vincent at capeflats.org.za
Fri May 1 12:43:15 BST 2009

On Friday 01 May 2009 12:28:57 Dr. Johan P. Prinsloo wrote:
> Hi, I need help again. This particular PC wants to make my life
> difficult. I've been able to upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04, and now during
> the upgrade it comes up with this :
>
> debconf on pcjp3 (the name of this PC)
> Modified Configuration File
> What would you like to do about dovecot.conf
>
> If I click on help it says; A new version of configuration file
> etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf is available, but the version installed
> currently has been locally modified.
>  there are 5 options;
> 1) install the package maintainer's version
> 2) keep the local version currently installed
> 3) show the differences between the versions
> 4) show a side-by-side difference between the versions
> 5) start a new shell to examine the situation
>
> What am I to do with this?

Basically, it is asking whether you want to keep the dovecot.conf currently on
your computer or whether you want to replace it with the version that comes
with the upgrade. Do you remember changing your dovecot.conf? If not, it is
probably safe to replace it and you can always edit it again if necessary. I
generally choose the first option when asked this question - seems to be
consistent with the point of upgrading in the first place.

Cheers,
Vincent