[ubuntu-za] Virtual Box

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 30 09:49:38 BST 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:24, David Robert Lewis
<ethnopunk at telkomsa.net> wrote:
> Gosh, I went and installed Virtualbox OSE not knowing about the USB
> issue. It works fine and is very responsive. Installed XP and it runs
> well, great sound and yes even faster than native and then of course, I
> noticed the USB problem. I tried various tricks suggested online but
> none work, so I guess I have to install the closed-source version.
> Question - does this mean I have to remove the OSE version? Will I be
> able to mount my XP with the closed-source version, what will happen to
> my virtual disk?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox sends you to
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads to install the non-OSE
version, which I have done at some point in the past. (The
virtualbox.org site seems down right now... perhaps the Sun guys on
the graveyard shift fell asleep...)

Virtualbox 2.1 will open the virtual machine / virtual disk you
created with OSE without a problem, and might prompt you to upgrade
the file format. Don't worry about setting up the repository for
virtualbox.org - just download the package as it will check for
updates itself and download them without needing the repo.

Regards
Morgan