[ubuntu-za] Virtual Box

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Mon Mar 30 09:24:56 BST 2009

Tim Johnson wrote:
> Sun Virtual Box works excellently and is very simple to install and get up
> and running.
> Make sure that you use the right version to support USB as the Open Source
> version does not.
> Also, ensure that you are using a genuine version of Windows as
> authentication of the OS is required from within VB.
> I ran XP Pro for quite a while like this as I needed 1 Windows app until I
> had a Linux database populated.
> You will find that Windows and most Windows-based apps run significantly
> faster in VB than they do in native Windows... dunno why, but they do.
> You can also set up all Linux drives as network shares in Windows and
> access them as if they were in your virtual machine.
> There is plenty of advice in the ubuntuforum and popular opinion indicates
> a strong preference for VB over VMWare and the rest.  I highly recommend
> VBox.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:44:36 +0200, Charl Wentzel
> <charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za> wrote:
>

>> Hi guys
>>
>> I'm not familiar with virtualisation software in Linux.  I know that on
>> a machine setup for dual booting a Windoze and a Linux partition; you
>> can boot the Linux partition in Windoze as a virtual machine using
>> VMware.
>>
>> Can I achieve the exact opposite in Linux, i.e. boot the Windoze
>> partition in Linux as a virtual machine?  More precisely what software
>> is available in Ubuntu to do that with.
>>
>> Regards
>> Charl

Gosh, I went and installed Virtualbox OSE not knowing about the USB
issue. It works fine and is very responsive. Installed XP and it runs
well, great sound and yes even faster than native and then of course, I
noticed the USB problem. I tried various tricks suggested online but
none work, so I guess I have to install the closed-source version.
Question - does this mean I have to remove the OSE version? Will I be
able to mount my XP with the closed-source version, what will happen to
my virtual disk?