[ubuntu-za] Jaunty Release Party Cape Town

Phillip Pare ptpare at lantic.net
Sat Mar 28 15:56:17 GMT 2009

* Find a venue

> Hilton Theunissen suggested a TuxLab equipped school - Camps Bay High
> again, or Groote Schuur Primary in Rondebosch (if I remember
> correctly). We'll need to arrange with the school and lab admin.
>
> If we can secure the venue in good time we can do better with our
> publicity this time (although we had a good attendance last time
> anyway).
>

>> * Organize Jaunty Local Repository
>> * Snacks
>> * Presentations / Talks about experiences
>> * Ubuntu in small business
>> * Get users to come :)
>>
>> I am trying to organize that we a a local Jaunty repository so we can do
>> installs and such with zero bandwidth usage. One reason users don't feel
>> like upgrading/re-installing they would have to redownload their apps.
>>
>> Any thing any one else can add or correct wiki link is below.
>>

>> [1] http://wiki.ubuntu-za.org/Jaunty_Release_Party/Cape_Town (Thanks to
>> Johan Mynhardt)
>>

> Regards
> Morgan

How about targeting schools whose tuxlabs are NOT functioning well for
the release parties.
This would give people the chance of helping the schools get everything
up and running beautifully.

St Mark's College in Jane Furse in Limpopo is quite off the beaten track
for many people but it would be an eye-opener to others to what is
involved in promoting IT in the deep rural areas. ( 24.763687 South and
29.866107 East)
The school is about 225 km north east of Pretoria, about 120 km South of
Polokwane and 80km north east of Groblersdal.

I am sure Hilton Theunissen would be able to give the names of various
schools in all corners of the country that could benefit from a party of
enthusiasts. Two schools in the Phalaborwa area which did have Tuxlabs
in various states of repair are Majeje  Secondary in Lulekani (approx
23.850 South and 31.086 East) and Nkateko also in Lulekani (approx
23.867 South and 31.072 East). The Palabora foundation could be of help
here in identifying other schools. Phalaborwa would be nice in that you
could combine the party with a vist to the Kruger park and there is a
variety of good accomodation in Phalaborwa.

At each party could someone not come with a full set of Jaunty DVD's
that includes everything from main through the universe to medibuntu.
Everything necessary could then be loaded onto the school's server.

The other thing that would be useful would be for people to come with a
set of examples to show how both open source pascal / lazarus, open
source java, open office and mysql could be used to answer the matric IT
question papers. Perhaps a full set of answers to last year's November
IT and CAT papers would be appropriate.

Regards

Phillip