[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu small office server

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Tue Mar 24 14:43:37 GMT 2009

-----Original Message-----
Hi Guys

After some serious hardware failures I decided its time to install a
central server in our office environment for which I plan to use Ubuntu
Server edition (busy downloading) on a Pentium server.

After doing a lot of reading on the subject and feeling a bit
overwhelmed by all the technical information (I did know there is so
much to know!) I decided to ask the mailing list for help on a specific
issue.

I plan to do many things, but the thing I'm most concerned about its
data integrity.  I plan to setup a Samba server (my wife still uses
Windows) but would like to implement:
- Redundant storage
- Automated backups

Given I'm using an old desktop PC as the server I don't have RAID.  Is
it possible to do duplication on two hard drives on the same machine?
Maybe as a start, before I invest in another hard drive is it possible
to implement duplication across two partitions?

I have a DVD drive available in the machine.  Can I automate scheduled
backups of data directories to DVD?

Charl

It seems I found the answer to the first part of my question in the
online Ubuntu server guide under the Advanced Installation guide.  It
appears that a software RAID driver (mdadm) is available to do just this.

I better prepare the coffee flask... it's going to be a long night.

Charl