[ubuntu-za] (no subject)

Hannes Coetzee scorpking at scorpking.za.org
Wed Mar 18 16:43:01 GMT 2009

> Hi guys
>
> I'm not familiar with virtualisation software in Linux.  I know that on
> a machine setup for dual booting a Windoze and a Linux partition; you
> can boot the Linux partition in Windoze as a virtual machine using
> VMware.
>
> Can I achieve the exact opposite in Linux, i.e. boot the Windoze
> partition in Linux as a virtual machine?  More precisely what software
> is available in Ubuntu to do that with.
>
> Regards
> Charl

Hi Carl

I use VMware server v2 on Ubuntu Server 8.04 to run XP (you can download
it but need to register for free to get a serial number). XP runs a lot
faster than it would if you'd install it directly onto the hardware.
I've tested Windows Vista & Windows 7 beta and the both seem to work
well in VMware although I never really used it much. You have to make
sure that you configure all the hardware before you activate Windows. If
you change the smallest thing it could ask for activation again. You can
use a disk or disk partition instead of a file in VMware but I've never
used or tested it. There should be some info on the VMware forums about it.

Hannes