[ubuntu-za] Intrepid Heron - Hardy Ibex

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Mon Mar 16 18:39:29 GMT 2009

Lee Sharp wrote:
> David Robert Lewis wrote:
>

>> No luck, the xorg is now broken - my mouse and keyboard not registering.
>> Did a dpkg and there are broken packages that need to be fixed and the
>> only repos are canonical (international bandwidth). Is there some way to
>> force dpkg to seek the local repos?
>>

> You will have to find the actual local repos, and put them in manually.
>    I would disable GDM and see what you can do from the cli to get the
> packages back.  Jump into /etc/apt with nano and clean up sources.list
> to start.  If you have a LiveCD or other working system, you can use the
> GUI "Software Sources" to "select Server" and choose other to find the
> closest.  The other commands you may need are "sudo apt-get update"
> "sudo apt-get upgrade" and "sudo dpkg --configure -a" to fix broken
> packages.
>
> 			Lee

Definitely. Good advice from everybody on this list as per usual. Will
give it a bash when I have time, (excuse the pun) running overtime on
the set of the Clint Eastwood/Morgan Freedman Mandela movie, so my
advanced ubuntooing, is on hold for the meanwhile, besides, my housemate
thinks I am completely bonkers for getting involved with a CLI, but this
is the unusual thing about Ubuntu - it does amazing things in places I
swore I would never return to, not after the MSDos/DrDos fiasco
pre-Internet. (Now that takes me back).

So thanks to all for helping and being there, and fighting the good
fight, Ubuntu is the future. Ubuntu is our ZA dream. Later.