[ubuntu-za] Free and Open Source Software in Schools

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Sun Mar 15 20:26:36 GMT 2009

Hi Guys

I've "listened" to the discussion over the last view days and I must say
I'm impressed with the ideas and creativity.  Although I don't have
ideas of my own to add, I like the direction this is going.

I'll help where I can.

Charl

        Hi All

        I propose we start SA Schoolforge. I have been communicating with
        Schoolforge US and UK since 2001, these groups are doing really well in
        their respective countries. The US guys has done really well and now
        have as much as 5-8 conferences per annum for schools across US.

        Schoolforge UK > http://schoolforge.org.uk/
        " Schoolforge-UK, the voluntary community of individuals and
        organisations that support our aims, working together to implement open
        content resources using Free, Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS) in UK
        education. "

        Schoolforge US > http://www.schoolforge.net/
        "
        > SchoolForge's mission is to unify independent organizations that advocate, use, and develop open resources for education. We advocate the use of open texts and lessons, open curricula, free software and open source in education.

         From a community advocacy perspective this is the one-stop for schools
        to get general info, links to resources and more importantly access to
        SERVICE PROVIDERS in their area.

        I then suggest the idea of a school computer club, gets driven through
        Schoolforge - lets brand it( eg. Schoolforge Computer Club) , find
        sponsors, start member programs, competitions (enroll the best oaks in
        Google's Summer of Code), get schools to upload their casestudies (good
        or bad), have workshops(regional, national),provide a space for How to
        uploads from SA floss community(how to install moodle or ltsp.org,etc),
        we could them to start a web radio program or just blogs,etc.

        I am with Peter lets start after school computer clubs. go back to your
        old high school or your child's school or the nearest one and offer to
        help with a computer club.  link them into the national Schoolforge
        network and then they not alone, which might inspire them to integrate
        it into their school program.

        I am happy to register the domain and host it but would need a volunteer
        for development and maintenance work.